Commercial Interior Resources
Los Angeles, CA
With it being an occupied living space, we got involved early on and presented the option to install over existing VCT to: A) Make sure dust and disruption of unnecessary demo work did not affect the residents, and B) Help save the customer $$$ on unnecessary demo costs. It was a win-win for all parties involved (well, except for the demo contractor).
We installed LVT flooring over existing VCT flooring in order to help the customer save on demo costs, and avoid displacing residents for longer time than needed. However, some areas of the existing VCT (as you could imagine with a 30-year-old building with original flooring) were not in the best of shape. We were able to remove tiles that were not securely bonded to the floor, and patch in place with Schonox SL or AST prep materials to create sound and sturdy substrate to then install new LVT on top of. The combination of sanding down the VCT to remove wax and patching the damaged areas created a production hurdle that we were able to get down to a system and overcome as we moved throughout the 27,000 SF of space.
On top of the VCT prep side of things, we were also working next to and coordinating with painters, plumbers and electricians throughout the whole project, as we would be forced to pause installation in one room to let other trades handle items, and jump to get a start on the next room available... It was tight quarters with a tight timeline, but we were able to coordinate with other trades to make sure everyone stayed as productive as possible while working in the same areas together.
Scope of work was Kardean LVT installation over existing VCT for 2 low-income housing buildings (total of 27,000 SF of occupied living space). We worked closely with our customer to coordinate a game plan to ensure all residents were taken care of and not displaced as we made our way through the building in phases. This project was in the Skidrow area of Downtown LA, which made for some interesting and unique logistics (coordinating deliveries through the sidewalks lined with tents of people living on streets, with no actual parking lot or driveway for unloading materials... and on top of that, once we got into the building, no elevator access to the upper floors).
Although these were tough and demanding conditions for our team, we were able to keep morale high knowing that the work was being done for a great cause -- to bring a fresh and clean living environment to those in need, and hopefully help provide them with a nice, enjoyable living space as they work to get off the streets and back on their feet.